Saturday, December 5, 2009

Heroes, Elves, and Lots and lots of Snow!






OH MY!
The wind swept snow for hours and we woke up to the most beautiful sculpted drifts.
We were heroes this morning by helping dig cars out of the drifts by the Inn.
And then.... we went on our secret mission!

We braved the blazing winds, the icy cold stinging flakes, the DEEP up to the boy's thighs sinking drifts over to Nathan's. Well actually, we started out in our van with the a basket full of Sint Nicklaus goodies from Alysa's mom, Anna. But we quickly got stuck and had to turn around. THEN we ventured out on foot. It took a long time and was tricky. My hands were frozen red by the time I reached Nate's and thankfully Dave's back wasn't too weak to carry Westi the last part of the way. It was like being stranded on a mountain top in my mind... the determination above the elements, the will to survive, and the sense of warmth coming. We made it. And then the sneakiness began. We boldly went where we had never gone before: to the girls den. We found their shoes, we stuffed goodies in them, we left the basket, and we stuffed Nathan's shoes up top. We were so pleased with ourselves!!

The walk back was not so bad, if ONLY my camera battery hadn't gone dead I could have snapped pictures of the incredible sculptures on the way home. In front of every house facing south there were little mountains and tunnels. Each roof had an overhang that bridged out into nothing. Fascinating. The boys loved it. And then... cider time. I couldn't find Weston for a bit and then I found him: he had rigged up a little foot rest out of the Lego box, and he had made a little bed for himself on the floor so he could warm his feet at the heater!
I'm sorry that the shows got cancelled.
I'm sorry that people are having a hard time on the roads...
But,
I LOVE THE SNOW!

1 comment:

Alysa said...

Sooo sneaky!! Soooo sweet! Thank you for being the Sint of Rosebud!!! You made our day! THANK YOU!