Saturday, July 31, 2010

Memory Making in limbo










Today was a big day in Drumheller.
Donovan attended MAX college of animation's one day workshop where he basically drew for 5 hours! He loved it! While that was happening, Dave and I took Weston to the famous Tyrell Museum for a look around the galleries, as well as a small hike to a fossil site where he and I inspected lots of rocks in the heat. Poor guy. He seemed a bit disappointed in the end. He didn't find any dinosaur bones. But he did find some cool petrified wood and some impressions in rocks where fossils had been, and some quartz crystal.
We finally discovered the Drumheller library this week, and the boys have almost finished a graphic novel of The Hobbit. Video stores seem to be going out of business right and left and we scooped up a few deals for our library; now it's just a matter of finding the time to watch after the boys go to bed (which is quite late these sunny nights).
It's been a time of change too: we're priming and painting our kitchen, wall by wall, and David shaved off his beard.
Other than that, it's been hot and we have to regulate the temperature in our house with the windows, fans, and blinds.
This week was also notable because of all the voice over work the whole family secured. It's been remarkable, and quite fun. David got a job based off another job we did as a family, Donovan got a special spot honoring "A Day with Dads" for families of prisoners, and Weston and I got a job with the state of New Mexico promoting their childcare rating system.
So, we're keeping busy.
I'll need to turn my attention back to my play and preparing for school next month, so I sigh because I think that means a few less voice over auditions. Right now I feel like I could do that every day.
We're looking forward to a road trip to Idaho soon and maybe a trip to Kamloops to visit our friends the Tows. They're hurting so bad right now with Jeremy suffering from a brain tumor that is no longer responding to treatment. I long to help them, but not sure yet how.
So we're in an unusual time of little structure and limbo. Nice but loose to the point of vertigo sometimes. Grateful, but longing for routine and joy with the boys. Funny how special days can sometimes trigger self protection more than staying home.
Something to think about.
Still, I'm grateful for the opportunities in fields that the boys are each interested in.
And hey--I found a fossil of a pinecone! And hey--even if Donovan wasn't excited, I bought two new folders from the school supply section and I'm excited like a kid with new shoes. And hey--the sun is now setting right in the arch of the cemetery from the gaze of our kitchen window. And hey--it was a beautiful day and Daddy got to be with us the entire time! Yeah. We have so much to be grateful for! Thank you Lord, for these memory making days.

No comments: