Monday, September 27, 2010

Surprises and a second bloom.

My son Weston surprises me. I think I know him, and then he does something I would never do.
My son Donovan I understand a little better; we have similar weaknesses and similar drives, but Weston...Hmmm.
Last night we had special sugar cookies with chocolate chips. Donovan wanted three but only got one; Weston turned his down. "I don't think they're very healthy for me" was his response.
This morning Donovan was still looking for his hoodie when he should have been at the bus stop. Weston had left three minutes earlier on his own saying, "I'd like to be there early today."
Weston puts blue food coloring in the sink water to play Pirate Lego and jumps on the trampoline and burns holes through the knees of his pants just like Donovan, and probably just like every other boy. But there are times where I see him come into his own as a unique creature and it strikes me.
I tried to help him get a head start in PayDay the other night (just the two of us). I knew we didn't have long to play so I wanted to give him a couple extra thousand dollars to buy better deals. "No, mom. I only want the exact amount I am supposed to have." --Not that he isn't tempted, mind you. He wanted to roll his die over a couple times when it fell off the table in his exuberance and didn't end up so favorably,-- I didn't let him off the hook on that one. But he still surprises me.
The day before school started Weston closed the door to his room and wouldn't let anyone in for 20 minutes. I had complained earlier that day how I longed for the boys to tidy their room, as I had just tidied it two days before and now it was a complete disaster. Then Weston opened the door -- the room was spotless. He had quietly done the whole thing on his own and determined he was now ready to start grade one.
Weston reminds me of some these flowers around. We've already had like three frosts, but now the warmth has returned and a few of the plants and flowers have willed to bloom again. I thought they were done, but no, a resurgence, a new blossom of true nature and the will to live and thrive is pushed out to manifest itself for my enjoyment.
I will try to never take either of my boys for granted.
I realize I am still just getting to know them.
I look forward to many more blooms.

No comments: