Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Kid in Us

These times of David being in full time rehearsal necessitate Mommy getting off her duff more to play outside. And up until the beginning of this week, there was some pretty great weather to get out in.

The boys and I were told of a geocache located up by the Rosebud Cemetery and we went off to find the treasure. We set out on our trek on foot (which is a coup in itself in our household as the boys would rather ride than walk any day.) Nonetheless, we started our hike up the highway, pausing here and there to engage in light saber battles (thank you Sebastian Tow -- [I think] -- Star Wars has now surpassed not only Thomas the Tank Engine, but also Pixar and even... (duhn, duhn, duhhhh...) Pokemon!) Yes. My boys love Star Wars. They play it with Legos and Sabers all the time. At least they’re playing together which is usually pretty great.

Anyway... we stopped at the Rosebud sign, and then we found ourselves at the old cemetery. The boys each picked a direction and walked around the hedge until: huzzah! Donovan spotted it first. They were tickled. Well, so was I. There’s something childlike in all of us about discovering a treasure. (Of course it helps that Dave’s reading them Treasure Island right now; adventure is coursing through their veins!)

We enjoyed reading the little log book of others who had ventured and discovered and left a symbol of their presence. The boys, too, left little trains and pulled out their own treasures from the container and returned it to its hiding place.

Then they love taking the steep way down: running as fast as their young legs can get under them. For me, that is not so fun. Falling is a big deal now. But the exhileration I can appreciate. A simple game of tag or a jump on a neighbors trampoline usually does it for me these days (unless I pee myself slightly too early on. (embarrassed post maternity sigh.))

We had a great time. I loved having a quest and that (once they got there) the boys didn’t whine or complain, but instead wanted to keep running up and down the steep hill and falling in the grass. --So I keep patching the knees of their pants; at least they’re torn for good purpose.

Another child-filled day was a light saber battle/circus act performance/fort building/general playtime in our backyard with the Eliuk kids and Annika and Kai Lassen. The afternoon was full of general fun and even some great cooperation. I thank God for the Eliuks coming to Rosebud. I hope it can happen in a permanent way soon. [They’re waiting for their other house to sell.] They have three boys and one girl. It’d be so great to have them here, especially after the disappearance (move) of the Haltermans.

Another playful excursion happened with my dance class. We’ve been exploring the body’s impulses to move and express and letting the body lead before the mind. This has led to wonderful spontaneity in and out of class. Watching adult kids play on the playground was delightful.

I’m so grateful we have kids to come tug us by the hand, or we’d sit too long.
I’m so grateful there are playgrounds beckoning all of us to come enjoy.
And I’m so glad know the child in me is not dead. Not even remotely. At least once I listen and give her a chance.
Sigh. Smile.

No comments: