Monday, October 27, 2008

A trip to Narnia





This is a tough time.  Poor Donovan couldn't get to sleep last night so we let him sleep in and took him to school late.  Then we filled out our time in Drum with shopping and lunch and chiropractic appointments and a pharmacy visit for my new antibiotics.  My neck still hurts, even after icing.
I don't know how to live healthier with good motivation.  I find with all the stress right now I want to veg or hide in some way.  Even writing this blog is avoiding some memorization work, but I don't want to lose this discipline either.
Donovan is such a good reader now.  I hadn't quite realized this before.  He's so smart; he doesn't like it when I read subtitles for him anymore.  "I know, Mom; I know" he tells me.  
Oh, the stars are so bright tonight in the clear dark sky.  We watched The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe with the boys over the last two nights.  They were blown away.  I was surprised how much they remembered from the book.  Weston kept asking, "Where's Mr. Tumnus?"  And both he and Donovan loved the war scenes.  I was afraid they were too violent, and kept preparing the boys, "Now, you know, wars are awful, messy, sad things, guys.  ...And anyone you see die in this film does not die in real life, it's just part of the story.  ... And you let me know if it gets too scary, 'cause I can turn it off -- no problem."  They were calling out to the characters, "Watch your back!  Get him!  Oh yeah, that was awesome!"  Boys.
I love the part where Aslan speaks of the deeper magic: the truth of a willing sacrifice of love from a pure heart for a traitor... and the huge sound when the stone table splits.  It reminded me of the holy of holies in the temple ripping from top to bottom.  Such a dramatic symbol.
I can identify with both Lucy and Edmund.  His desire for Turkish Delight like my luscious Peanutbutter cup cookies, slipping one in when no one is watching... And Lucy's delight and love for Tumnus, Aslan, and all things Good.
After the movie, we hustled the boys to bed for another chapter of Voyage of the Dawn Treader but they needed to draw while they listened.  It was incredible!  Amazing renderings of the rhino in battle, the Beavers table and chairs, and Aslan himself.  They were struck, and needed to express.  Even Weston din't flinch with his four year old hands confidently creating Peter's shield with Aslan, and the beavers.  I'm glad there are inspiring stories being told
...Although I still don't know how best to explain war...

No comments: