Monday, November 23, 2009

Making something out of nothing



So last night, we did it! We performed our little family skit at Risk Night. It was pretty echoey in the Gallery and other than the fact that I was out of breath from having just run around the room, it came off pretty well. Dave and I were especially proud of the boys. They were both so cute at the end as two stow-away elves. So cute and committed. Dave was a funny reindeer too.
I was grateful that people came out to share in creativity together. All my coaching students participated and did very well.
It was also great to hear Belinda sing. I was pleased.
Afterwards, Randall took us out under the stars to name a few constellations. I learned a lot. There's one star at the tip of Taurus' horn that seemed to be winking at me. I think I've spotted this star before and have tried to see into it. Randall couldn't remember it's name so I dubbed it Twinkle, Twinkle. Yes, I have spotted the star we all sing to when we wonder up at the sky.
Today Weston, David and I worked on penciling in some design ideas for the stage backdrops of the Sunday School play "Silent Night". Thanks to Trisha and Janice and Lois who found the framed foam core boards so I don't have to use cardboard.
It feels like we're in limbo a bit. This "not being in a play" is quite different from my last two Novembers, and the year before that I was immersed in directing Way of the Wolf. So... I'm doing things like volunteering to write, direct and set design the Sunday School pageant. ...Go figure.
I have chipped away at some of my big play (...Bells) but I need some epiphanies. I'm stuck with a couple characters. I have it down to 71 pages now which is good, but I still feel overwhelmed.
On the domestic front, we're trying to not buy anything this week. We're over on our credit card bill and we're going to try and cut back and be resourceful with what we already have. It's a good challenge. I don't know if it will work. It's those big plane tickets for Christmas! My goodness flying across the border has gotten expensive! Ahhh.
But we wouldn't change it; we're grateful to get to go. And we get to go earlier than usual, again because we're not tied up in a show. So, lots of blessings.

I had some fun patching some of Weston and Dave's pants and socks AGAIN. They wear out their socks the same way. And these foam core boards are a real windfall. I must look out for those more often.
Now I'm off to make something out of leftovers!

Alysa filmed our little song and I tried and tried to upload it here, but alas. No success.

No comments: