Friday, March 19, 2010

Bubble, bubble, toil and -- Quick: bubble bubble!






Weston's birthday came and went, and so did a host of other thoughts, ideas, discouragements and adventures.
Many Rosebud friends joined us on Sunday to celebrate Weston turning six. He had planned relay hurdles races with a pink ribbon finish tape; a Hotwheels race on black garden liner track from the back deck 2 X 2, and then Dave and I had a surprise bubble wand for everyone.
That was my favorite. No competition or fear, just hold up your wand and let the wind make glorious bubble after bubble. I even like writing the word "bubble" and how it sounds in my head. Bubble, bubble, --'course now it sounds like the witches from Macbeth: "Bubble, bubble, toil and trouble.... eeeheehaahaa!" Well, it was more like magic in the sun, those shimmering fragile globes.
Then we all gathered around the cakes and cupcakes. We had to get quite close to break the wind so Dave could light the candles... but no go. Didn't really matter. We're a theatre town. We all (Ha!) IMAGINED the candles were lit and Weston made a wish and "blew" them out anyway. --I had fun crumbling tons of Reece's peanut butter Easter egg patties onto the top of West's chocolate cake for Alfie the excavator from the Island of Sodor to bulldoze. Yum. There were also the tiniest cupcakes with sprinkles for the non-peanut butter lovers.
On Monday we pulled Donovan from school and went to Calgary. I had a dermatologist appointment ("Mole Patrol") and Weston had some birthday money burning a hole in his pocket. We also found an organic foods store that had soft wheat berries, so I can finally try baking pastries with fresh ground wheat from my mill, just like my sister, Janice! Yeah. (Expensive, though, that organic stuff -- and more tiny stones, are they extra?)

After shopping we met with Andrew Cooper for a game of toss with Weston's new football, and then we went to our favorite wave pool and restaurant: Spicy Chef, (right across from the pool.) Oh my gosh, Weston ate up an ENTIRE large plate of rice and butter chicken -- and that's after some roti and sauce. I mean, he was using two utensils to pick up and shovel every grain! It was thrilling to see his appetite after swimming and on his first day after turning six. Then Ryan, the manager gave he and Donovan free chocolate ice cream crepes for dessert!
Tuesday was full and Wednesday we came back to our Faith and Art class that hadn't met for six weeks!
I've still been struggling with fatigue and discouragement. I'm longing for motivation and order and gumption to do what I know to do. --I don't remember feeling this way over such an extended amount of time. It's humbling, but I think not having an acting opportunity lined up for me this year is really tough. My mind is always cooking up new ideas to make money.

So, two days ago I joined an online voice over company to audition for work. Even though we've had some experience, it's been a steep learning curve for both Dave and I. Not the least being not having a sound booth to buffer the echo. HA HA Dave took a picture of me surrounded by our makeshift booth: our foamy mattress cover! Yes, that's me in there with my pop screen, microphone and copy. O, that's funny, but it's been good to experiment, and fun too. Dave says he'll help me make a booth soon with PVC pipe. Sigh.
I have to be patient too, and that's hard, but there's possibility. I hope to recoup what I invested soon.
During one of my low moments today I asked Weston to come out onto the sunny back deck with me. "Why Mom?" he asked. "Just 'cause" I said. Then I pulled out two of the bubble wands from his party. All we had to do was hold 'em up and the wind did the rest. They were beautiful. Tiny glimpses of sparkle and spherical perfection -- not meant to last, but I'm sure they gave a little boost to whoever caught sight of them once the wind carried them beyond our roof, giggling to the sky.

No comments: