Friday, April 23, 2010

Busy busy busy and a pair of old pants









Oh, it's busy.
And it's spring
And it's scary
And it's good.
Our lives have been full with:
lasagna for 10 people,
gopher hunting,
bike riding,
scooter riding,
wagon riding,
puddle jumping, choir concerts, and
lots
and lots
of dirt!
Besides that of course there's school for all four of us and for David and I that roller coaster is coming into it's final double twisting back sommersault finish in the next 8 eight days.
It's a little bit insane.
I stayed up until almost 2 in the morning working on a voice over gig only to wake with groggy voice and sinus trouble from the rain, etc. --I don't mean to complain about the rain actually, it's wonderful.
But I get scared when I don't take proper care with my voice, now that it is becoming my income.
With all our thoughts about an addition to our home, I'd love to do some major spring cleaning throughout our house, particularly the closets. But every time I go through my clothes, there are some I just won't let go of. They're beautiful and they once fit so nice, and now I never wear them, but I just -- can't-- let them go.
Weston has a pair of pants like that. Although he technically still fits them, he shouldn't be wearing them anymore. They're a pair of girl's sky blue fleece pants that I got in bargain bin at Extra Foods for 94 cents. (Weston doesn't know yet that they are girls pants.) They are his absolute favorite. Of course like all of his well loved pants there is a hole in the right knee, which I eventually got around to patching. But now, two springs later, these pants end eight inches above my sons ankles. He wears them boldly to school, boldly to church, and boldly to the dirt pile... and no amount of coaxing or polite suggestion will dissuade him from wearing his "soft pants." So while other long jeans and zipper down pants lie dormant in his drawer, Weston turns to his favorites whenever possible.
I guess I can understand.
I still have a blouse from when I was 16 that I just can't part with.
And then there's my fraying coral pink hoodie I got from Maki that I wear almost every time I want to feel chipper and cozy. And I still refuse to wear low rise pants. I'm weird. But at least I know it and do it willfully.
Next week is unique for me because not only do I have the usual teacher angst of finals and evaluations breathing down my neck, but I am also performing -- a bit. This term I took classes in voice and dance and these experiences culminate in performance nights come Tuesday and Thursday, not to mention Sunday when I go with the students to do a fundraising showcase in Strathmore.
It'll be a tough week on the boys, I think. I'm committed almost every night. I need to find time to engage with them on what they want to do, or they'll feel like I'm only concerned about what's impending for me. I hope I can balance.
The sun has been really helpful. It shines so long into the night and keeps me from staying in bed. I hope I can rise to the challenges just like the flowers in our garden are reaching toward the sun. You can measure an inch of growth a day!
Life is full, but the busyness can also contain great blessing.
I want to hold on to the particulars that remind me of important truths. Like my red blouse and Weston's blue pants. They represent comfort, connection, and ... personhood. That's worth remembering in this hectic time.
God help me see it.
I think I'll go slip into my pink hoodie...

No comments: