Saturday, May 22, 2010

Ahhh... let them eat cake!







So, we made two special cakes yesterday. One for Jen Nishi, a student who is moving away, and one, of course for ourselves. I’ve found that our favorite cake mix is definitely Duncan Hines Chocolate Fudge. (Not German chocolate, milk chocolate or dark chocolate, but Chocolate Fudge.) And it’s almost useless to ask what kind of frosting we should make, the answer is the same if you ask any one of the three men in the house: “CHOCOLATE!”


So we made cakes.


I never used to make cakes,

but lately I’ve been making cakes.


And it’s not even birthday cake.

Just Because cakes, or “Just ‘Cause” cakes.


Again, the sprinkles make it.

Unless the kid in you is completely dead, nothing appeals to the senses more than chocolate frosting with rainbow sprinkles.


Speaking of rainbows, we saw one in the distance on our way back from karate Wednesday night. Dave and I did well with our kata, and the boys will practice this week to try again on Wednesday for their yellow belts.


In writing land, I’ve gotten a bit of clarity and small windows of writing, but still resist anything that feels like hard work.


Nonetheless, I’ve chipped away at it (actually hacked away nearly 30 pages from my original).


What I’ve mostly been doing is voice over work, auditions, research,

AND...

Recording!


Yes.

I was so shocked to see the email after all my auditioning.

I stayed up ALL NIGHT last night recording, editing and sending character voices for fairy tales to a woman in Korea to use in teaching English. Fun. --And a lot more time than I thought. Yippee. My first job in two months!


It's an odd thing staying awake through the darkness and quiet and hearing the first birds chirp at 4am, beckoning the gradual dawning of light and a new day.


I finally sent my job to Korea in four instalments over the internet when my client was already well into tonight. Strange.


Now I think it’s time for some cake.


Just ‘cuz.

No comments: