Sunday, August 28, 2016

Turning the Page or Pacing the Cage?

David: Hi Jeany

J: Hi Davey.

D: So, today is the closing of Tent Meeting.

J: Yeah.  Big deal?

D: It is.  It's been rich and ...

J: Adventuresome?

D:  The whole summer has been.

J: In what way?

D: Well, with directing Valley Song.

J: Oh yeah, that... that seems so long ago now.

D: I know.  And family visits.

J: Those were great.

D: Yes.  I had been thinking though, with a "shorter" performance run of Tent Meeting, that my summer wouldn't feel as long, but it really was.

J: Was that a good thing?

D:  Oh, yes.  No complaints.  But, with the coming trip, I'm brimming with all that is to come.

J: I know you're working on our visas, that we just found out we have to have BEFORE we get to Africa.

D: Yes, that's a big one.  Although we have time.  And applying looks straightforward.

J: So, what do you want to talk about?

D:  Well, this trip... may be a real reset on how I see myself in the world.  And I'm curious how that will affect what I do here back home.  Ending the summer is one kind of turning the page.  But thinking of going out into Africa especially makes me wonder if I'm pacing the cage.

J: Pacing the cage here at home?

D: Yeah.

J: Like, you're sensing something more is imminent?

D: I wanna be open to that.  Even though I know we're all, always reaching and wondering if there is something more.  Something other I should be doing.  It doesn't have to happen that way.  But I think this trip will change me.  I hope... I get bigger...  on the inside.

J: I'm so glad you're coming with me.

D: I'm just as glad.  And, to share this with the boys.

J: You mean these young men who live in our house and are growing like trees?

D: I like to think of it as growing like bamboo.  And yes.  Them.

J: I'm scared I won't be my best self because of the stress of traveling.

D: Me too.  But we've got our vitamin B complex.

J: chuckle

D: And a lot of family and friends behind us.  --Plus, we're doing a good job planning.

J: You think so?

D: Ask me again in a week.

J: Eek.

D: laughs

J: God help us.

D: Amen to that.

J: Thanks Davey.

D: Time to get on with our day.  Thanks Beany.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This was a lovely, lovely read..