Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Nibblement... important winter play






Here's a few pics from today and more selections from the community concert on Sunday.  Ray Schultz played a wonderfully shmaltzy "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" on the soprano sax, and Gerald Wilson played his violin with Shauna.  I guess he's been playing since grade 2, but this was the first time I ever heard this soft spoken farmer play... and their rendition/duet of Silent Night was stunning.  One of my favorite moments was when Cassia stepped up with her highland dance clogs and gave a us a rapping tapping Lady of the Dance number without lights or huge soundtrack.  --Just clippety cloppety chop chip hop!  So exciting.
Oh, we got dumped on with snow last night.  So beautiful and so so white!  I love how crisp and clean and crunch crunch crunchy it is under my boots with double-socked toes nestled inside.  The air is much more breathable now that the mercury is creeping up toward zero fahrenheit.
There's some big showcases from the students this week: performance night last night and Greek presentation tomorrow morning.  (Oh, I hope we don't sleep in again like we did today!)  Oh my goodness!  Dave (bless his soul) has been getting up first on show days to get Donovan his breakfast and I sometimes get up in time to make his lunch and send him out the door.  So, I always turn off the alarm after the second snooze when Dave gets up... but this morning Davey didn't hear the alarm (unbeknownst to me), so we both slept until 7:24!  Donovan's bus leaves at 7:35!!  Would you believe, we made it?  Poor sleepy DJ... we packed him his breakfast and his lunch, shoved snow boots on his stubborn feet and he and Dave trundled off in the semi glowing darkness over virgin snow to the big yellow striped taxi.  I was so glad they made it.  No way did I want to drive in this stuff with the pressure of a show breathing down my back.
Sadly, patrons are still needing to cancel because of the weather and we had less than half the house of what was once "sold out" --again.  I feel bad, but what can we do?  At least we're all performing well.  It's just a tough time for everybody right now.  Most around here are panicked and lacking sleep and it makes for some hurt feelings and bleary eyed mornings.  Only ten shows left.
I love the top picture of Dave and the boys.  Weston came over saying "I need some snugglement" and Dave wrapped him in and Donovan wanted in on it too.  Then all of them agreed to some "nibblement" after dinner.  Nibblement means some "nibble" which means singing the "two little magic words" song until they are pounced on and tickled until they scream.  This is important winter play... especially this week.

No comments: